Foothills Art Club: downloadable presenters' notes from workshops
Laura's notes re Doug Swinton workshop:
Anne & Laura's workshop notes:
more from Doug Swinton:
Sergei Bongart on Art and Painting:
Using shapes to build a painting:
John Singer Sargent Techniques:
Tips on Pricing and Naming Your Artwork:
In the articles below the authors have been referenced within each of the documents and more information is available by searching their links on the Internet: - presentation by Wendy W. and Laura P.
Dale's notes re Value presentation:
Doug Swinton Workshops:
a well-known Calgary artist and instructor demonstrated his techniques in oil painting. Doug is a “walking wealth of information and knowledge” and he readily shared everything he knows and does with Art. Go to Doug’s website is at www.dougswinton.com , and sign-up for his newsletter.
Doug Swinton's Five Levels of Dominance (from 2014)
- Compositional Tools:
1. Motive: Select Dominant/Minimal areas and shape sizes (determines the Why and What)
3. Value patterns: sizes. Dark, medium and light
4. Direction of Light: morning or evening, Not flat noon light. Light and shadows 70:30, 80:20 ( not 50:50). On all elements in painting.
5. Temperature: am cool, evening warm. Overall painting temperature - Warm/cool or Cool/warm should be 90:10 or 80:20 but not 50:50 or even 60:40. Colours: ex blue/orange 70:30 cool temperature. Note: Yellow, red, orange = warm. Blue, purple, green = cool.
Colour: (lest important element of a painting)
Art Workshop Calendars - Painting Workshops, Art Lessons & Art Instruction For Artists http://clicks.robertgenn.com/workshops/workshop.php
Each year the Foothills Art Club makes a donation to an art program at one of the local high schools. The Legion poppy sale is represented at our Fall Art Show and Sale. In addition, our members donate their time and artwork to a variety of local silent auctions and community events throughout the year.
Beaupre Community Hall
263035 Beaupre Creek Rd,
Rocky View County,AB
- To get to Beaupre Hall... from Cochrane, travel west on Hwy 1A to the Gas Plant then take the first right (north) onto Hwy 40. Travel up Hwy 40 to Beaupre Creek Road and turn right (east). You can see the hall in the field to the north east ...turn left into the parking lot. MAP
MacKay's Ice Cream: sponsors our September Ice Cream Socials
Town of Cochrane
Artwork can be displayed in two-week time slots.
Contact 403-851-2535 to book your spot.
Alberta Community Arts Clubs Association:
Destination Art Supplies - 3400 14st NW, Calgary (similar supplies as the old Colours Art Supplies in Calgary). Discount for Foothills Art Club members.
Kevin Annala of Banff provides mailorder of custom frames, moldings and supplies www.printandframe.ca
Sign up for Doug's monthly news letter.
This is a link to a Doug Swinton YouTube video on colour: "Light not Bright" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQyGRmI9tc&feature=youtu.be
Repetition is the Key to Mastery - read article
Visual Art Alberta: visualartsalberta.com
Provides opportunities, residencies, information bulletins and professional development.
Saffron Collective Studio has space available for rent and/or workshops. Our collective studio is expanding and we are opening up rooms to artists of any capacity to join. If you're interested in joining an artist community this is the place for you! I'd love to meet and discuss more with you. Classroom space to paint in an evening or daytime is also an option. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon! Nicole Snider Info@saffroncollectivestudios.com
Click here for Michaels Coupons
Mona Lisa Art Supplies
Card Blanks, plastic sleeves, envelopes:
- Victoria BC company
Sharing an interesting new website that Golden Paints has set up. This is worth taking a look at http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/mixer/
Opus Art Supply: very interesting PDF and videos